Monday 11 July 2011

Day 6 Preston to Carlisle. Wednesday 29th June 2011

90 miles
Total: 442 miles


Grum was rather redundant today as we needed no navigation as we stayed on the A6 all day. Poor Grum - he loves it really.

Some aches and pains were more apparent today. I had a few old football injuries giving me jip. Painkillers, muscle rub, freeze spray and vitamin drinks were being added to a few of the boys morning routines. By day 6 I also think we had all had at least one bowl of Coco Pops each morning and each breakfast after this we all asked "Do they have Coco Pops?" as we took our seats for breakfast. Who said we had ever grown up? Breakfast of Champions.

Whilst we were saddling up outisde the B&B a local girl on a bike stopped us to ask if we were LEJOG'ers. She was beginning her JOGLE the day we were due to arrive at John O'Groats.

We flew along to Lancaster and Kendall where we stopped for a sugar break and to mentally prepare ourselves for the infamous climb at Shap. I was excited for it but there was certainly a sense of trepidation in the camp. Bring on the 1400ft climb.

I really enjoyed it and to be fair it wasn't as long or as steep as we had expected. I raced along the first mile or two and the views were getting better and better. I was using this as a proper test of my ability. Bruce and I finished first while the others took a more leisurely pace. We celebrated at the summit because it signified the half way point or our challenge.

Lunch today was during a well deserved stop in the village after a 7 mile cruise down the other side of the hill. I enjoyed a steady 25mph without the need to pedal. It had been a hard thigh burning, lung bursting climb for an hour or so but the commitment and determination from the boys was great. I am certainly feeling the benefits of improved fitness right now.

By the time we passed Penrith en route to Carlisle it became noticeably colder and we could see the heavy rain clouds further ahead at the Border. Not a great omen for entering Scotland!

We arrived at Carlisle around 7pm and got our order into the Domino's Pizza across from the very nice B&B. 6 large pizza's were demolished - apart from Andris who didn't finish his. I should have known all was not well with him if he ever loses his appitite.

No comments:

Post a Comment