Sunday 10 July 2011

Prologue

It began back in September 2010 when I asked 6 of my friends to join me in cycling from Land's End to John O'Groats in the Summer of 2011. I had wanted to challenge myself and at the same time raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care. It had been over 7 years since my mum, Alison Hannah, had lost her fight with cancer, aged just 41. After her health had deteriorated she was cared for by the Marie Curie nurses at the Hospice in Edinburgh. 


Although I don't remember a lot about this time in my life, I do know that the care and support they gave not only to my mum in her last few weeks but also to our friends and family was exceptional. They dedicate their time free of charge to looking after terminally ill patients either in their own home or in several hospices around the UK which means some of the patient’s last wishes can come true. If you were fortunate enough to have had Alison in your life you will know that the 900+ mile ride is a challenge she would have relished and tackled with characteristic vigour.



The team of LEJOG'ers consists of Graeme (Grum) McKinkey, 24, Bruce Robertson, 23, Nick Forrest, 24, Nick Waterman, 24, Fraser Young, 23, and Andris Apsa, 22. We are affectionately known at ‘The Chain Spokers’ – thanks to Nick Waterman for that shout. I asked the boys last September if they would be up for doing this in honour of my mum. They all agreed straight away – without a second thought of what they were actually getting themselves into – what else could you ask for in friends? 


We aim to achieve all this within 14 days, which means we will have to average 70 miles per day (that's how I sold it to them anyway!) It wont be easy, but borrowing Lance Armstrong’s reflection upon conquering the Tour de France, “neither is living with cancer.”


If you would like to donate please visit our JustGiving page at http://www.justgiving.com/get-on-yer-bike4ali


Thanks for viewing our Blog.


Matt Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment