Tuesday 12 July 2011

Day 9 Crianlarich to Fort Augustus. Saturday 2nd July 2011

83 miles


Today was my 24th birthday but since the previous week had all been mashed together I had almost lost track of when my birthday was! To make matters worse, Fraser knew my birthday was the 2nd July, but since the start of cycle he had been writing his diary one date behind and had told the guys "don't worry Matt's birthday is on Sunday." At breakfast time I still wasn't exactly sure if it was today or not so I never said anything apart from "I'm pretty certain today is my birthday but I'm not sure!"

We got on the road after a prolonged midge attack outside the hostel. I was cycling with increased drag today simply for the reason that my jaw was open all day at the amazing scenery. Not long after leaving Crianlarich we were approaching what I presume was Ben Dorain at 1074 ft. The road that skirted around the mountain was excellent despite being filled with caravans. This didnt detract from the downhill however, and even though most of the lads cruised down I put on the gas and got a serious buzz from it. We met Eliza again shortly after and she had a little birthday fairy cake complete with candle which I was so chuffed about! This was a rather extended pitstop as we scoffed on the sausage rolls, pork pies, donuts and Mars Bar's Eliza had brought us.

I could hear the faint sound of a bagpiper coming from over the next Glen but Andris, the Englishman, dismissed it as merely for the tourists on a Saturday morning. Sadly he was right.

The next leg of the day was particularly spectactular going through Lochaber before reaching Glen Coe. It was simply stunning and made it one of the birthday's to remember. Going through the Glencoe pass was something I was really looking forward too and it was a great experience. I was getting a fairly intense geography lesson from Andris about the features of the hills but the only downside was the amount of motorcyclists that were out for the day. I don't think any of us has any real affinity to motorcyclists after today as 5 or 6 would overtake at the same time at deafening noise and ridiculous speeds. I have to say it spoiled the tranquility of the pass somewhat. Nevertheless it was a great cycle up and then down and one of the funniest things I have even seen happened on this road.

A convertible car overtook us and on the rear passenger seat was a large, hairy dog sitting on the middle seat. Our canine friend was absolutely loving life with his floppy ears blowing in the wind. At first I had thought it was actually a blonde woman in the back of the car but realising it was a dog sitting up made me laugh so much more. I had pictured him wearing some sun glasses too! Maybe the Highland air was getting to me.

Ben Nevis was now in clear sight and offered more spectacular views. It's not called the Great Glen for nothing. Once at Fort William it was again a quick stop into the first bike shop to fix another broken spoke in Nick's wheel. I popped into the bakery for a bridie... then went to the chippy next door! I have to say I was loving the sheer amount of food we were eating on a daily basis just to keep the fuel in the tank.

Still on the A82 we bashed on through Spean Bridge and passed the Commando memorial there. Bruce retold one of my favourite stories about Sir Tommy McPherson of Newtonmore who was in the original Commando's in World War 2. A truely heroic man who still casually wears a kilt in his day to day life.

Today was a day that we were either flanked by amazing mountains or superb loch's. I for one went very overboard with the amount of photographs I took today but once you've seen one hill you've seen them all right? Wrong. Not on the West of Scotland you haven't.

Once at Fort Augustus we were led to the William Wallace room. The hostel was really lively with lots of tourists and this is where I heard the term 'Jaffa' for the first time. I cant possibly explain further. Nick again raised the bar improvising for a towel by using the smallest hand towel seen to man to dry himself with after his shower. It was so small it hardly fit around his waist which didn't leave much to the imagination. I have a hankerchief that is bigger!

Today was a long day climbing but it was well worth it and the best day on the trip by far. I had begun the challenge at the young age of 23 but certainly finishing it feeling 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment